Monday 22 October 2018

Aharveda Thali


When you remove gluten, lactose and sugar from an Indian thali, its no longer a thali. I went in expecting a plate of pale looking boiled vegetables. I was wrong. What was put in front of me on a sparkling silver thali was to my surprise quite appetising.The menu changes each day. 



I relished rice bhakris and tomato chutney. The mooli chawli bhaji was wholesome and went well with bhakris. They called raw cabbage and cucumber pieces with tomato salsa khimchi. It was well seasoned and no surprise, I polished it clean. The power of fresh coriander and mint chutney is underrated. It adds "chaar chaand" to your meal.



The day I picked to go they had a few chinese items on the menu which I didn't savour as much. Thali and chinese shouldn't go together. So I was disappointed down by their fusion attempt. Having said that I did eat it all. It was delicious but odd just like eating a sushi pizza. I would go back wanting wholesome Ayurvedic indian food. Feed me dal, suran bhaji, navalkol, karela and drumsticks something. 

I drank chaas, and called the waiter with gotcha look.This is buttermilk. Hence not lactose free.*high five*. He says it's made of coconut milk and raw mango. My jaw drops and I cuss at my palate. This is chaas says my brain. Is it really? Stroke of genius.

This thali has not replaced my gujju thalis steeped with ghee, chaas, fried stuff and sweet dal. But what it did was opened my mind to different foods that were never on my radar. Upwas vari rice is one such find! Not only they made vari or samo for a rice with soy sauce and veggies for mains, they also made firni with the same. Sweetened by jaggery and honey that firni can belong on every Indian menu. 

I applaud the minds behind Aharveda, their effort seems honest. The thali comes with a feel good vibe that makes me think they should add "guilt-free" in their description as well. This is Mumbai's marmite divide. Love it or hate it, your tummy will surely appreciate this meal. 
Your liver might do a happy dance too.

No comments:

Post a Comment