Monday 1 October 2018

AMBIL recipe

There are many different versions of Ambil. Growing up, my mother always made this using Jowar flour.  When I visited my hometown in Northern Karnataka during my summer vacations, I saw many families having this for breakfast before going out to work in the sun. I am sure every regions has its own unique version.




Recipe:

1) Take 2 tbs of Ragi flour in a bowl.
2) Add 2 tbs of yogurt to the bowl.
3) Mix well and let it sit for 20 minutes. The longer you let it rest, the sour it tastes. So if your yogurt is sour to begin with, then you may not need to rest it for this long.
4) Boil 2.5 cups of water in a vessel.
5) When the water is boiling, stir it with a spoon and add the ragi yogurt paste.
6) Stir vigorously to avoid lumps.
7) Once its mixed well, wait until it boils.
8) Add salt to taste
9)  If your ambil is too thick, then add some water
10) Serve in bowl with pickle and buttermilk or yogurt.

Additional flavourings:
1) You can add some crushed garlic to the boiling water for more taste.
2) Similarly, cumin, coriander leaves, some green chillies can be added.

I am rubbish at following recipes. Its all instincts when it comes to measurements. So I have found a proper recipe with step by step pictures. https://www.chefatlarge.in/recipe/savoury-ragi-malt-nachani-ambil/
The same recipe works for jowar ambil. Do try that too.
Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment