I applied and 5 days later I got my passport. I would never have thought to write about this,but while I was researching what documents I would need, I found some answers on blogs that people like me (victorious Indians who came out sane) that really helped. So heres what I learnt from my experience.
Do's and Donts
- Take a good week to sort out all your documents. Its better to carry more documents. In my case, I had the same address as my last passport but I wanted to add my spouse name. When i checked on 'Document Advisor ' on the website it asked me to address proof,old passport and aadhar card. I carried that and marriage certificate, my degree certificate, pancard, bank passbook, birth certificate and utilities bill. In my application a lot of these extra documents I carried were taken.
- Be patient while filling the online form. If the document hangs then try again using another internet browser. I had to fill the form thrice on google chrome it always had some snag. Firefox worked in one shot.
- On your appointment date at PSK, carry a few blank paper sheets just in case they could ask you to write a declaration form/letter.
- You do not need to carry photographs for PSK appointment. Infants/minors need passport photos. (up until march 17)
- Avoid carrying your documents in files. Carrying them in folders worked best for me. Its easy to produce when asked for.
- Given a choice, go for morning appointments.
- Signing up for sms updates makes the whole process stress free. I'd definitely recommend it.
- On PSK day, carry signed photocopies of all your documents as well as all the originals.
- Atleast until march 2017, uploading supporting documents on the psk website was a futile exercise. All of your original documents are scanned by them.
- The process is divide in 3 parts. A is where officer will scan documents, take your photo, biometrics. Then you will be called to B section, where you have a passport officer verify your documents, and thereafter at counter C is where they will accept of your application.
- All questions / queries about your documents will be raised in B counter.So this could take a while.
- After finishing A,B,C, you got to collect your application receipt from the exit counter.
- This process could take 2-3 hours.
- You do not need an agent. The website explains the procedure.
- In my case, I wanted to add my spouse name at the same time retain my Maiden name. At counter C, I was told that there will be police verification. The next day, an officer visited my home, the day after that i went to the police station to sign and got my passport via speed post the in the following two days.
- I applied for Normal passport renewal. I received my passport in 5 days.
Passport renewal process has become simple, its straight forward and quick. I am impressed. What used to take months, now is done within a week.