This is quick (lazy) version of coconut rice. I dont have ingredients measured, but worry not use your instincts and it will be fine. The traditional recipe, rice should be cooked in coconut milk.
But who’s got that kinda time?
What I found in my kitchen:
Leftover boiled rice
Coconut oil or Ghee
Fresh coconut grated
Urad dal and chana dal
Tamarind (Imli) soaked in water
Green chilli (can use red dry chilli instead)
What I managed to whip up:
1) In a skillet heat some coconut oil, Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and curry leaves.
2) Next add in grated coconut and roast lightly. Careful not to brown the coconut.
3) Add chopped chillies.
4) Next goes in about 3 tablespoons of coconut milk (just enough to coat the rice that you will be adding in later)
5) Add imli juice. This is optional. I used very little imli for a sweet sour balance.
6) When the sauce bubbles, add in the rice. Mix well.
7) When the rice is hot enough, switch of the flame.
8) Add a generous spoon of ghee
9) Season with salt and pepper
10) Garnish with roasted cashews and curry leaves
If rice is just prepared and steaming hot then add in the rice to the sauce and switch of the flame
instantly. Also, use less of coconut milk, to avoid it getting soggy.
For my leftover rice, I needed the moisture from coconut milk so I added more.