Friday 1 February 2013

Aye Aye Captain


"Shagufta, pull the rope... PULL" screams RAMA, a kenyan instructor. I am in state of panic. Our Yatch is has tilts to to 70 degrees now. I see Zia dunking in the  salty waves of Arabian sea waters. Oh god... Oh GOd.. I can't hold on this rope any further..My fingers will fall off,  Thats when i hear RAMA scream.. almost in slow motion.. "let go of the rope... don't pull it anymore.. "  WTF , Why was i pulling it all this while long !  I am thinking of my camera. "Let go of this damn rope, save the SLR". How important could this rope i am holding on to be ? Its just something they call it a MAIN SAIL. My fingers won't hold this rope any tighter. Our boat is tilting in the Arabian Sea. Its too late now, Zia is all wet and so am I

Welcome to the thrilling world of sailing.. !!



Did i mention I went sailing in Bombay ? You have to read this. I am planning to promote wind sailing as a fun activity for adults & children in this maximum city. I struggle to keep tourists entertained in our city, especially those who are less of the shopping kind and more of want to see - want to do kind. So heres my bright idea.. go sailing. I know i know what you are thinking. Sailing in brown water , eww?
I thought the same. So i signed up for a recce sail. And its not ewww at all. Its awesome !  Aboard Beneteau 7. 5 , five of us set sail on a rather windy afternoon.  So windy that we didn't need three sails to be put out. We just needed two of them that to now fully opened. One of the first questions asked when you come aboard is , "Do you fancy a leisure sail ?" I screamed "Sir , NO. Sir"... "So then , do you prefer an active sail ?"   I scream, " Aye ye captain".. And thus began the saga of my sore fingers !  There are 5 tasks on board that need our attention , the crew helps us to understand each of it. We turn the boat also known as tacking. We had very over enthusiastic sailors on board so we did as many as 5 tacks. Its a total confusion.. while tacking , you got to change sides and while doing that you got to keep pulling the ropes

What fun !!! What fun !! If you haven't tried it yet.. you must..  Sail Away Amigos.. :)

(Pictures to be added, soon)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment