Friday 30 September 2011

tring tring.... Tony ?

When I'm ready to go to bed, I set an alarm in it.. When I'm in deep sleep dreaming about swimming in Cancun , or hula hula dance in Hawai, or being in Mr Branson's shoes, I frown being interrupted by the noises it makes..  When I wake up every morning I check it for email, texts, missed calls... When I'm commuting or excercising (very rare), I listen to  foot tapping/ soul searching numbers on it.. When I see something worth being captured I click photos or film videos on it...  When nostalgic, i browse through old texts..
Cellphones !!!! Acording to my limited sample survey research 99 % of  adolescent and adult population are addicted to mobile phones.. addicted may be harsh word.. lets say over-dependent.  I have 2000 free minutes each month and trust me by the month end I have to use them economically.. A person who can talk to trees & bees , i confess that i have to use my free minutes wisely.  We live in a mobile phones driven world..  A 100 meters walk to the corner shop u carry your phone.. when you walk from one room to another you carry your phone..  Some people I know carry theirs to the toilet (you know who you are).  Who cares about the over exposure to cellphone radiation , when global crisis and  hypocrisy  of our world leaders is going to give us a stroke anyway !  Since i started using cellphones, my memory has gone for a toss. All i remember now is, where did i last keep my phone.. in my bag.. or kitchen table ? The few telephone numbers i knew byheart have been erased like Dubai's coastline. swisshhhh.. all gone. i can barely remember my own cellphone number ! i have saved it in my contacts as 'ME orange'.. there is another one below it that says 'ME lebara'.. I wonder what is this need to constantly be in touch with the outside world. For years and years our forefathers/ grandfathers lived perfectly normal lives without being pinged constantly..they didnt care about whatsapp or shazam.. they looked for letters and telegrams that they cherished for years and passed it on to their coming generations, where as we fear a memory card crash, drug addict robbers or damaged display that would take our golden memories away in a jiffy.. Now,we have fewer  friends and more means to communicate.  There is no escape. I cant take a little time off to get lost in my own thoughts from my own BB dominated life. 

An old prank..
(Dials a random landline number)

Tring tring.... tring tring...
Me: hello, tony hai ?
XYZ : nahi.. wrong number..

tring tring...
Me : hello, tony hai ?
XYZ: Wrong number boss

tring tring tring tring
Me: CAn i speak tony ?
XYZ: (irritated) you have dialed the wrong number

moments later

Tring tring
Me: tony?
XYZ: Arre .. bola na wrong number

Tring tring
Me: hello tony hai?
XYZ (angrily) nahi nahi nahi...

Tring tring
Me:  tony , kahan hai tu ?
XYZ: (screams) wapas phone kiya toh police ko bolunga

Instantly.

Tring tring
Me: Main tony bol raha hoon.. mere liye koi phones ?
XYZ: kahan hai be tu ? %$&^%*$#%^$&^ %#^%*&(*&





1 comment: